Andy Goldsworthy: Environmental Art

 


Andy Goldsworthy is an English sculptural artist who creates environmental art made from natural materials found in situ. These installation works are site specific and the found items are a way of representing the natural character and essence of the site. As an artist Goldsworthy has been active since the 1970s, and such sculptures have been well documented in publication and discussed in art schools. 

I first learned of Goldsworthy and his work while studying in one of my first college art classes. I remember watching a documentary film showcasing his artwork installations and their meditative qualities, reminiscent of rock gardens and decorative waterfalls. Much of it seemed ceremonial, with monuments, and billowing leaf assemblages arranged  much like banners and bright colored streamers.

After the film my class was instructed on how we would (as groups) create a sculpture in the manner of Goldsworthy: by  finding natural objects in our vicinity and assembling them into an artwork of some kind. I remember not being too thrilled about having to hunt for rocks to make something artful. I remember being somewhat annoyed and somewhat hating this project. But eventually the group I was in decided we didn't have to only use rocks. Therefore, we decided to use twigs, leaves, flowers, etc. for our wreathlike artwork.  I had my camera with me that day, but I did not care to photograph our project, though the weather (and artwork) was nice. I wrestled with the art concept. 

As an environmentalist Goldsworthy focuses on the ephemeral state of nature and its products. I only learned of the ephemera idea later during another discussion on Goldsworthy. By that time I had wished I'd photographed the work -- photography being another form/attempt of ephemera. Though I was not immediately impressed with Goldsworthy's work, I have learned to appreciate some of it, as well as the growing number of works inspired by Goldsworthy. 

Comments

Popular Posts