My Visit to Oakland


As a part of my effort to see more of Northern California I recently visited the city of Oakland. Though I know very little about Oakland in comparison to its larger relative San Francisco, I was aware of a few of its landmarks. But aside from such landmarks, when I think of Oakland I particularly think of the well-known talent that is from the city. Talents such as Tony Toni TonĂ©, MC Hammer, En Vogue*, and Keyshia Cole, to name a few. 


Thinking back, I initially wanted to see the Grand Lake Theater while visiting San Francisco and asked someone for directions on how to get there. She told me the easiest way would be to take BART to Lake Merritt in Oakland. I thought about this for a moment realizing that the trip would take me to Oakland. I could just breeze through and that would be my Oakland experience. I figured there must be something in the water with all the talent that has come from Oakland. So I postponed by trip in hopes of a more broader view. It took some time but I did eventually get around to planning a trip to see Oakland and some of its landmarks.


Once there I particularly wanted to see the Oakland Museum of California, and also Jack London Square, both of which are approximately in the west part of Oakland. Also, I did make a point of seeing the downtown area and its architecture. From this visit I can say that I was rather impressed with the overall vibe of the city, which seems to be more suburban than urban. 


Though I could see many Californian traits reminiscent of familiar cities like Long Beach, I could also tell that Oakland is its own unique place. I also saw a great deal of racial and ethnic diversity that I was beginning to think does not exist in Northern California. 


As I was impressed with a lot of classic architecture I did see a lot of blight similar to what many places in recent history seem to be experiencing. There seems to be a lack of standards and culture to really support a fuller, flourishing of economy. Much of this is depressing because it is like a kind of de-ja-vu that I can remember from childhood and adolescence. .



Such places and monuments speak of the people that formerly made it great. But when looking at history and establishment I can understand that some such realities can be intimidating and seemingly foreign. Furthermore, city centers are no longer the centers of culture and aspiration.


While I say the vibe is different, there is so much that is akin to other parts of California, like the weather, the freeways, the way people dress, the sunny atmosphere, and the way I often encounter the strange voodoo of vegetable garbage intermingled with ocean air that seems to be unique and characteristic of bay cities. 


But mostly, aside from the nostalgia, my visit to Oakland was a good experience. I made a point of going during the summer as I know the bay area weather can be unpredictably cool and foggy. And it was enjoyable to see the museums and the stately stylistic history of such a place that is often spoken of in conjunction with San Francisco and “The Bay”. At least now the lore makes sense.







Comments

Popular Posts