Across the Diagonal, by Liz Stohlman





Across the Diagonal is a collection of recent works by artist Liz Stohlman, who is a senior majoring in Studio Arts. The exhibition's title comes from Liz's love of horses and her hobby of horseback riding. Asked about what it means to cross the diagonal, Liz tells me that the title refers to the arena, where horses are trained, is considered a rectangle or diagonal. To cross this rectangle is considered to be changing direction, thus crossing the diagonal.

 During the exhibition I recognized a couple of Liz's paintings as ones I had seen in the painting studio while they were being prepared for finishing. I took a moment to study them and as I really admired the subject of horses and her style of painting them in bold, strong tones. I also like the fact that she used lettering elements and, overall, her compositions seemed to me reminiscent of Liz Taylor in the 1950s.

During the exhibition I did get a chance to talk with Liz and asked about her background as an artist. She shared with me that she is originally from Northern California and she has enjoyed riding horses since childhood, and that her artwork is a pairing of her love of horses and her love of drawing and artwork. Liz also says that she has really enjoyed her painting classes, and she has been influenced by artists such as Richard Diebenkorn, Nathan Olivera, and a number of other painters from the Bay Area.

Untitled, 2018

Untitled, 2018

Untitled, 2018

Comments

Popular Posts